Ramblers 2018 general council, will be held at Bangor University on Saturday 7 April and Sunday 8 April.
General council is an important and valuable moment in our year. It elects the trustees, holds them to account, approves the annual report and accounts, provides policy guidance and approves constitutional changes. It is also a precious chance for us to spend time together as one team and share best practice and new ideas.
In developing the programme for Bangor, a group of trustees and staff has reviewed feedback from this year’s successful meeting in Southampton, and some of the further improvements you will see include:
- Streamlined hustings and elections, with clearer information provided about these processes
- Volunteer-led workshops on topics of interest to areas and groups
- A speaker at the conference dinner on Saturday night, with more opportunity for socialising
- Improved and simplified nomination forms and guidance.
To allow more time for some of these activities, the formal business of the meeting will start a little earlier on Saturday at 2pm. We will be able to share the final meeting programme with you in January.
We have set up a dedicated 2018 general council web page where you can find all the information and documents you will need for the meeting. This will be added to as we get closer to the meeting, and you can already find the following documents:
- Background information about general council, along with key dates and deadlines
- An informal update on progress against the motions passed at general council 2017
- Motion submission form, along with guidance from the agenda committee
- Nomination form for members of the board of trustees
- Nomination form for members of the agenda committee
- Nomination form for president and vice-presidents.
Accommodation for attendees will be available on the Saturday night and further information about booking will be sent to you in January and posted on the website. In anticipation, we would like to take this as an advance opportunity to thank the North Wales area volunteers who will be working closely with us to organise this event.
We're aware you will be busy in the run up to Christmas but it would be gratefully appreciated if you could share this information widely and encourage others to participate (as both visitors and voting representatives) as general council is a great opportunity for people to get actively involved in our work to help everyone in Great Britain to enjoy the outdoors on foot.
Wales and Scotland have also set the date for their council meetings:
Welsh Council, Gregynog Hall, Tregynonon, Powys, 3-4 March 2018
Scottish Council, Doubletree by Hilton Treetops, Aberdeen, 10-11 March 2018.
All the very best for the holiday season and for the new year.
Des Garrahan Vanessa Griffiths
Chair, board of trustees Chief executive